Urgent help
Illustration of woman wearing backpack and a man

As a parent or carer, how can I help?

As a parent or carer, it can be hard to know what to do or say to support your child. Below we have listed some resources and information to help you navigate the pathway.

Talking and listening

Having a chat about difficult feelings with your child isn’t always easy. Children (like adults!) can sometimes shut off if the talk feels too formal or scripted. Keeping engaged and communicating with your child is really important when they are struggling. Making time to talk and listen is probably the most important thing you can do. Find out more about starting conversations by visiting the  Heads Together #okaytosay  webpage.


Inform yourself

The Go To have a pulled together a range of resources and information for parents and carers in North Yorkshire  to help them support their children’s mental health and wellbeing. Visit the Useful Resources for Parents and Carers page for more information.

Finding support for your child

You don’t need to have all the answers straight away. It might help to search the pages of The Go To for help and advice. In North Yorkshire  there is lots on offer to help young people with their mental health and wellbeing. Visit the Getting the Support You Need page  to find out more about local support services or visit the  Coping with Common Issues page to find out more about specific problems and what might help.

Looking after yourself

When your child is unhappy or not coping it may be hard for you too. Make sure you take some time to look after yourself. The Go To’s  top tips on feeling good might be useful for you too. Young Minds have produced a Parents Survival Guide which may also be useful to help you look after your own mental health and wellbeing.

Does your child need extra support?

If your child has a special educational need or disability (also referred to as SEND) you can visit our SEND and Mental Heath page for some key resources and information.

You will also find a wide range of information on North Yorkshire County Council SEND Local Offer page.

The SEND information, advice and support service (SENDIASS) provides free and impartial information, advice and support for children, young people and young adults (up to 25 years old) with special educational needs and/or disabilities as well as their parents or carers.

You can contact the SENDIASS North Yorkshire advice line on 01609 536923 (local rate call) or email [email protected]


Young Minds parent helpline

Support, advice and information for any adult worried about the emotional problems, behaviour or mental health of a child or young person up to the age of 25.

Visit Young Minds website

MindEd for families

MindEd for Families has online advice and information from trusted sources and will help you to understand and identify early issues and best support your child.

Visit MindEd website

Guide for families

The North Yorkshire Council SEND Local Offer Sets out all the support and services in North Yorkshire for children and young people aged 0-25 who have any kind of special educational need and/or disability (SEND).
Visit NYC website

Guide for parents

This leaflet from the Charlie Waller Trust offers guidance on how best to support your child and where to and further advice and help with their mental health.

Read leaflet

Young Minds parents guide

Parents guide to support A-Z. How to help your child with specific mental health conditions.

Visit Young Minds website

The Go-To is not responsible for content on websites or apps mentioned on the site. Always read the app’s Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy to see how your data may be used.

Safety Exit