Urgent help
Illustration of younger woman holding an elderly woman

Are you a young adult carer?

A young adult carer is someone aged between 16 and 25 who helps to look after a parent, sibling, partner, child, grandparent or other relative who is ill. Being a young adult carer can have a big impact on the things that are important to growing up.  It can affect a young person’s health, social life and self-confidence.  You may be struggling to manage your education and caring role, or you may decide not to look for employment or continue through college or university because you are worried about leaving someone on their own. But there is support available to help you along the way

Looking after yourself

It is important that you look after your own well-being.  There are a number of services across North Yorkshire that provide both practical and emotional support. See the links below for more information.

Know your rights

As a carer aged 18 and over, you have a number of rights. These include the right to:

  • A carers’ assessment
  • Request flexible working from your employer (employees with 26 weeks service or more)
  • Recieve financial support through Carer’s Allowance if you are eligible
  • Have your views taken into consideration by social services when they are deciding how best to meet the needs of the person you care for

Carers Support Services

Local carers’ support services are organisations whose purpose is to give practical and emotional support to carers. There are four such providers for adult carers in North Yorkshire, operating from five main bases.

The local carers’ support services cover Craven and Airedale; Hambleton and Richmondshire; Harrogate; Scarborough and Ryedale; and Selby.

Services offered by the local carers’ support services include:

  • Confidential information, advice, emotional support and representation
  • A carer assessment on behalf of North Yorkshire Council
  • Benefits advice
  • Regular information by way of circulars, bulletins or newsletters
  • Referrals to other specialist support organisations
  • Information sessions, courses and other related activities
  • Help for carers who need support to continue working and caring

To find information and contact details for your local carer support group visit North Yorkshire Council website.

Getting More Help

Talking to family and friends about your worries can help you feel more supported. You might want to talk to someone outside the family like a GP, or even a friend’s parent. Choose someone you trust and if you find it difficult to talk about how you are feeling, you could write them a letter or send them a text. Support is also available through Childline, Compass BUZZ, Kooth and Recovery College Online.


Childline provides a free and confidential telephone service for children and young people up to the age of 19.

Visit Childline website Call 08001111


Compass BUZZ offers a confidential text messaging service, called BUZZ US, to young people aged 11-18 across North Yorkshire.

Visit Compass BUZZ website Call 07520 631168


Kooth online counselling is a free, safe and anonymous service for 11-18 year olds where young people can chat 1-2-1 with counsellors.

Visit Kooth website

Recovery College Online

The Recovery College Online provides a range of online educational courses and resources to people with mental illness.

Visit Recovery College Online website

North Yorkshire IAPT

IAPT is a national NHS programme designed to increase the availability of talking therapy treatments.

You can refer yourself if you are 17 or over and registered with a North Yorkshire GP.

Visit North Yorkshire IAPT website

Crisis Resolution and Intensive Home Treatment Team (CRHT)

The CRHT team are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They provide specialist assessment for people aged 16+ who need urgent mental health care.

Visit TEWV website

North Yorkshire Horizons

North Yorkshire Horizons is an adult drug and alcohol recovery service.

Visit North Yorkshire Horizons website

North Yorkshire Council

Visit North Yorkshire Council for more information on helplines, counselling and urgent support.

Visit NYC website

Crisis Cafe

A safe space open to all experiencing crisis (16+ years).

Visit Mind website

Getting Urgent Help

If you’ve seriously injured yourself or taken an overdose call 999 or get immediate medical advice from NHS 111.

If you are in a crisis and feel like you can’t cope, speak to somebody straight away. Search below for help or see the Urgent Help page for contact details for the North Yorkshire single point of access Crisis Service.

Things you might find useful

Carers support

Carer support groups in North Yorkshire

Visit North Yorkshire Council website

Carers Centre

Support for unpaid carers in Hambleton and Richmondshire.

Visit the NHS website

Carers Resource

Support for carers in Scarborough and Ryedale.

Visit Carers Resource website

Carers Allowance

You may be entitled to benefits because you are a carer.


Visit GOV.UK website

Your Rights

Information from Carers Trust about your rights as a carer.


Visit Carers Trust website

Learning and Work Institute

Advice and resources for young adult carers regarding learning and work.

Visit Learn Work Care website

Young Minds

Looking after yourself as a young carer.

Visit Young Minds website

The Go-To is not responsible for content on websites or apps mentioned on the site. Always read the app’s Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy to see how your data may be used.

Safety Exit