Urgent help
Illustration of person laying on sofa looking at tablet

Independent living

Whether you're leaving home for the first time or struggling with anything from finding a job, housing or managing finances, living independantly can have a big impact on how you are feeling about life. Below you can find links to a range of information to help support you.

Getting More Help

Talking to family and friends about your worries can help you feel more supported. You might want to talk to someone outside the family like a GP. Choose someone you trust and if you find it difficult to talk about how you are feeling, you could write them a letter or send them a text.


Childline provides a free and confidential telephone service for children and young people up to the age of 19.

Visit Childline website Call 0800 1111

Buzz US

Compass Phoenix offers a confidential text messaging service, called BUZZ US, to young people aged 11-18 across North Yorkshire.

Visit Compass Phoenix website Call 07520 631168

Recovery College Online

The Recovery College Online provides a range of online educational courses and resources to people with mental illness.

Visit Recovery College Online website

North Yorkshire IAPT

IAPT is a national NHS programme designed to increase the availability of talking therapy treatments.

You can refer yourself if you are 17 or over and registered with a North Yorkshire GP.

Visit North Yorkshire IAPT website

Crisis Resolution and Intensive Home Treatment (CRHT) Team

The CRHT team are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They provide specialist assessment for people aged 16+ who need urgent mental health care.

Visit TEWV website

North Yorkshire Horizons

North Yorkshire Horizons is an adult drug and alcohol recovery service.

Visit North Yorkshire Horizons website

North Yorkshire Council

Visit North Yorkshire Council for more information on helplines, counselling and urgent support.

Visit NYC website

Crisis Cafe

A safe space open to all experiencing crisis (16+ years).

Visit Mind website

Getting Urgent Help

If you’ve seriously injured yourself or taken an overdose call 999 or get immediate medical advice from NHS 111.

If you are in a crisis and feel like you can’t cope, speak to somebody straight away. Search below for help or see the Urgent Help page for contact details for the North Yorkshire single point of access Crisis Service.

Things you might find useful

The Mix

Get advice about sex, relationships, drugs, mental health, money & jobs.

Visit The Mix website


Resources for self-care, sleep, depression and more.

Visit Blurt website

Side by Side

A supportive online community called Side by Side, where you can be yourself; a safe place to listen, share and be heard.

Visit Side by Side website

Citizens Advice

Information on benefits and tax credits if you are working or unemployed, sick or disabled, a parent, a young person.

Visit Citizens Advice website

Mental Health at Work

Resources and information all about mental health in the workplace for employees and employers.

Visit Mental Health at Work website

The Go-To is not responsible for content on websites or apps mentioned on the site. Always read the app’s Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy to see how your data may be used.

Safety Exit